Baby

“A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier,
the past forgotten, and the future worth living for.” -Anonymous



Sunday, June 27, 2010

First Ultrasound

We had the first prenatal exam at 7 weeks; although until my dr. confirmed, I wasn't exactly sure how far along I was. I filled out some seemingly endless paperwork, peed on a strip of paper and then they took my blood - blech. Not a fan of the blood taking. Lucky me, I think I am going to be doing it often now. Oh well, what's good for the baby...
Then we prepped for the ultrasound. I was on the table and Erik stood behind to my left. She placed the probey thing (technical term?) inside me and aimed around until my uterus came into view on the screen. There it was. Our...baby...which looked more like a sea monkey or blob, but it was still very awesome. The dr. flipped a switch on the machinery and a little sound wave appeared at the bottom of the screen followed by a fast-paced 'ba-bump, ba-bump'. I had read that you may not hear the baby's heartbeat until 8 or even 10 weeks, but there it was. Or was it? I had to be sure. "Are you sure that's not my heartbeat?" Though my heart was certainly pounding with excitement, she assured me that the probe was honing in on our baby. And, that it was unlikely my heart was beating at around 130 beats per minute; a very normal rate for baby in womb. We heard the heartbeat. It was awesome. I can't stop thinking about it. I keep hoping I will find a spot on my tummy where I can feel it, but no luck yet. I can't wait to hear it again.

1 comment: